German Academic Exchange Service or DAAD is taking applications for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance for scholars from developing nations in Germany for the 2021/22 school year.
The DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships support future leaders from developing nations, who desire to promote democracy and social justice in their home nations. The program, which is financed by the German Federal Foreign Office, provides the opportunity to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programs of particular relevance for the social, political, and economic growth in the students’ nations of origin. In the light of the ideologies of Good Governance, highly proficient graduates with a first academic degree are being educated in political science, economics, law, and administration and gotten ready for future leading positions in their home nations.
Worth of DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships
- Scholarships are offered presently at € 861 per month for master´s degree courses at German higher academic institutions.
- Health insurance cover in Germany.
- Relevant travel stipends for travel between Germany and the developing nations in question and Germany.
- A study and research grant.
- Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable.
Eligibility for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships
The most important selection criteria are:
- Higher academic degree acquired with above-average results (top third of graduates)
- Language certificates (criteria vary based on the respective program of study)
- Political and/or social participation (see ‘Target group’) is taken as an advantage
- Proof of internships and/or professional experience is also taken into consideration positively
- A conclusive account of the candidate’s academic and personal inspiration for the study endeavour in Germany and for selecting and prioritizing the programs of study
- An account of the candidate’s perspectives upon returning to their home nation or region
The following groups are not eligible for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships:
- Candidates who got their most recent higher academic degree more than six years prior to submitting their application.
- Candidates who have lived in a nation that is not featured in the DAC list of developing and emerging nations for more than 15 months at the time of the application closing date.
Candidates who already possess a master’s degree program in a similar discipline can only be given consideration in well-justified cases, if they can describe conclusively, why they would like to acquire another master’s degree.
All programs of study have their own application criteria (grades, degree, language skills, work experience, etc.) that have to also be met by any interested individuals.
How to Apply for DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships
The documents you need to apply for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Scholarships are:
- DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ (please
fill out the application form electronically and sign it by hand).
- A single letter of motivation for both higher academic institutions comprising a
precise account of your educational, professional and personal reasons for wishing to take part in the program, and also a detailed description of your choice of
programs of study and prioritisation. The letter may be up to two pages in length and has to bear the current date and your signature.
- A gap-free curriculum vitae (if possible, please make use of the Europass template available at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/) with exact information about your studies, political/social participation, and any work experience, and also the current date and your signature.
- Copies of your higher academic degree certificates (certified translation if applicable, including a description of the grading system), please make sure these are clearly legible.
- Copy of your transcript of records incl. marking system, certified translation if
- Working time sheets for any listed internships, volunteer work and work experience have to be included. These have to be signed and bear the date, letterhead and stamp.
- Recent language certificates (for German and/or English).
- A recently drafted letter of reference, preferably from your present employer or from a university professor, bearing a signature, letterhead and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
The application period at all 8 universities is from June 1st – July 31st, every year.